Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Meet the Winemaker Tasting at Rendez Vous Wine Bar
If you're looking to expand your wine horizons on a global scale, you don't have to go to the airport. Just get in your car and head to Rendez Vous Cafe and Wine Bar in O'Fallon, MO. This local restaurant and wine bar offers patrons delicious dishes and a large variety of wines from around the world. They offer an assortment of wine classes, beer tastings, wine glass paintings and much more. We've gotten really excited about their Meet the Winemaker Tasting Events. We had the opportunity to meet Patricio Santos from Santos Vineyard in Argentina. His father was one of the first people to export Mablec in 1971 when it was still just considered a "second class" variety. Malbecs are extremely popular now and are a household man. Patricio sampled 6 of his wines, and Rendez Vous paired each sample with a delicious taste. We are really looking forward to the next event like this!
1. Terco Torrontes - floral bouquet, very similar to a Missouri Traminette, dry, buttery/oaky finish, thick mouth-feel, pairs well with spicy and garlicky foods (Side note: Torrontes make a good table grape) Paired with buttery garlic shrimp.
2. Santos Semillion - light, crisp with hints of green apple, similar to a Missouri Vidal Blanc or Seyval Blanc, very refreshing and full-bodied. Paired with Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
3. Tercos Bonarda - lasting raspberry aroma, not oaked, jammy and smooth, similar to a Missouri St. Vincent, can be served chilled (Side note: This is the second most popular variety in Argentina, used mainly for blending) Paired with Jalapeños Cheese Dip and Tortilla Chips.
4. Tercos Sangiovese - Italian varietal, fruit finish, balanced, no oak, but long finish, easy to drink. Paired with Tomatoes, Mozzarella with Balsamic Vinegar and Baguette.
5. Santos Malbec - peppery, full-bodied, complex but balanced, "elegant style of wine" -Patricio Santos. Paired with a Chicken Empanada.
6. Santos Cabernet Sauvignon - Tobacco and leather aromas, full-bodied, intense flavors, very complex. Paired with a Chocolate Caramel Cupcake.
Find out more about Rendez Vous Cafe and Wine Bar and other upcoming events here.
Follow them on Facebook here.