Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wine For Dessert (Literally)


I feel like I can't be the only with this dilemma. There is nothing worse than finishing a big Thanksgiving meal and looking at all those desserts, knowing that you do not have any more room for any of those delicious pies, cakes, and cookies. You try to walk off some food and make space, bust out the sweat pants, or just gorge yourself anyway, but none of these are ideal.. Well, I have found a solution, and it's wine! Pumpkin Pie Wine, that is, from Wenwood Farm Winery in Bland Missouri. This wine is the closest I've ever come to drinking a liquid version of pumpkin pie with a bonus of alcohol.

This wine can be chilled, served at room temperature, or slightly warmed to enhance the mouth-feel and aroma of the pumpkin pie awesomeness contained within. You could even go crazy and try putting some whipped cream on it! (Let me know how that works out for you. I'm very curious, yet unwilling to risk possibly ruining my wine.) I have tried a few pumpkin wines this year, but this is my first pumpkin PIE wine. Just sit back in your stretchy pants, pour yourself a glass, and enjoying drinking your pumpkin pie dessert.


Fall is also the season for mulled wines. All you need is a good base wine warmed up with sugar, spices, and citrus fruits. Edg-Clif's Hollyberry Red is the perfect wine to make a Holiday Treat Mulled Wine. The holiday gift wine comes complete with a gift tag and the mulled wine recipe. It's fun, easy and a great indulgence on a chilly day relaxing by a warm fire. The best way to warm your wine is too use a crock pot and share with good friends.

There are also times when I feel like I have to choose... wine or dessert? I usually pick wine (priorities), but now I don't have to. In the small town of Hermann, Missouri, I have made a wonderful discovery at Jillsie's Bistro & Boutique Cafe. Along with numerous lattes, smoothies, and breakfast delights, you can also order Norton Ice Cream. Yes, you read that right, and no, it's not just Norton flavored ice cream.

IMG_9685

Real Norton wine from Stone Hill Winery is an ingredient in this splendid treat. This homemade ice cream is a beautiful lavender hue. When you taste it, you will immediately taste pure, simple homemade ice cream, and it finishes as if you just took a sip of a delicious Norton.  Stone Hill's Norton really enhances the vanilla and is not at all overpowering. Jillsei's has combined wine and ice cream, and it's pure genius!


So there you have it; these three excellent options to finish off your Thanksgiving dinner with that incorporate fabulous Missouri wines. What is your favorite wine-related dessert? Please share with on MO Wine Please's Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment